deconstruction tour 2004
been to the “european warped tour” as some may call it… yeah! in fact i think it has a lot in common with the vans warped tour : the sponsor, the music, the kids, the bmx/skate shows. i have mixed feelings about the whole event… too ‘commercial’ and not enough ‘underground’ i guess. that’s why i was surprised to see anti-flag on the line up! but yea, it was fun!!
- catch the 1o:3o train from genève to zurich hb, then the S7 from zurich hb to kloten at 13:51.
- the whole show is inside the kloten flyer’s stadium, which guarantees absolutely crappy sound from year to year. i get there just in time for the first band’s show.
- watched strike anywhere, pulley and the movement from the seats (platforms?)… m’kay
- the beatsteaks (D), nguru (CH-ska) and the slackers (NYC-ska) from a little closer. the slackers’ bass player cracked me up, as he was playing his bass guitar like a double bass (i.e. the bass placed upright on a small chair, and the player picking the strings… :D).
- mxpx and anti-flag from the first row. excellent!!!
- headliners of the event were pennywise. i watched them from far away. i guess i’m not enough of a fan to wanna be crushed by a couple of thousand people. even from way up in the seats it was an impressing show! pennywise became famous by covering the beach boys’ “surfing usa”, and they still seem to like to cover other bands. last time they played their own interpretation of outkast’s “hey ya” (hilarious!!) and they also played… the ramones’ “blitzkrieg bop” !! rock’n’roll baby :D
soooo… to make it short, some ups and downs :
|anti-flag||band’s singer saying “this is the best show ever” or “you’re the best crowd we’ve ever had”… yeah whatever! do you think we’re st00pid or what ?!?|
|jerry galley’s airs in the halfpipe… style, man!!||people asking me to lift them up for stage diving.. wtf|
|pennywise playing outkast||my fucking ankle was hurting|
as everything finished too late to catch the last train to genève, i decided to walk to the airport and wait there for the o5:o7 train. i got there at midnite, decided to read a little of my book till around o1:3o while drinking some very-hard-to-find coke, and then fell asleep on the bench. i was surprised how good i slept! it wasn’t cold, the bench wasn’t too hard.. or maybe it was just me being tired enough not to realize it…